Monday, March 2, 2009

The smiling people of Los Angeles


I have been in Los Angeles more time than I wanted to be. I can't say that I fell in love with LA at first sight, but I have to admit I like it more now.

The weather is nice, the beach is close and the people smile a lot. Coming from Mexico City where people are always stressed, angry, and avoid any visual contact (to avoid physical contact in Mexico City is almost imposible). Finding smiling people in this other super crowded city was a great discovery.  Actually I haven't totally understood why people smile so much in Los Angeles, but I like it.

Here are some things that I still don't feel comfortable with :
The gray-white look of the place. It looks like it has been exposed for so long to the sun that the city lost the intensity of the colors. 
The public transportation is not enough for the size of the place.
And the lack of  cultural activities.
I don't know how much longer I will be here but I am starting to see the good face of LA.

He vivido en Los Angeles por más tiempo de lo que deseé al principio, pero ha sido una gran experiencia.

No puedo decir que me enamoré a primera vista del lugar, pero con el tiempo he empezado a sentir afecto por está. El clima es bueno, la playa esta cerca y la gente es muy sonriente. 

Después de haber vivido en la Cuidad de México donde la gente vive con stress, enojada y tratando de evita cualqier contacto visual (evitar contacto físico en el D.F. es casi imposible). El hecho de encontrar gente sonriente en esta otra súper poblada ciudad fue un gran descubrimiento.

Aunque aun hay algunas cosas con las que no me siento contenta, como por ejemplo:
La apariencia grisácea del lugar. Parece que la ciudad fue expuesta a tanto sol que perdio la intensidad de sus colores.
El transporte público es insuficiente para el tamaño de LA.
Y finalmente la falta de actividades culturales.

Aún no se cuanto tiempo más estaré por aquí sin embargo, empiezo a ver el lado bueno de Los Angeles.


2 comments:

Studioayse said...

beautiful shots !!
I am very glad that you are getting used to LA.if i need to be honest I only miss my friends there.
I am pretty sure that people in Mexico city are very friendly like you, but they have very different living conditions than LA people which make people smile or frown.
love, ayse

Belen Art said...

Thank you Dear,

Life in any crowded city is not easy, but I am trying to do my best to have a nice one, because I don't know how long I'll be in LA.