Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Grandfather

My grandfather was a veterinarian by vocation,
storyteller by love, and alchemist by determination.
Also, he was a voracious reader of newspapers, chemistry, history, fairytales,
philosophy, mathematics, instruction on boxes, or anything readable.

He loved my Grandmother, my Mother, my Uncles, my Aunts,
my Brother, my Cousins, me,the dogs, his horses, the chickens,
the pigs, the sheep, and all the animals on his farm.

He used to water my Grandmother's garden every morning and
said a prayer every night.
He used to watch TV with his eyes closed.
He believed that revolution hadn't yet finished, and that garlic is
the remedy for almost everything.
He was my father, my hero, my Abuelito.



Mi abuelo fue veterinario por vocación, cuenta cuentos por amor,
y alquimista por determinación.
También, fue un voraz lector de periódicos, química, historia, cuentos de hadas, filisofía, matemáticas, instrucciones en cajas, o cualquier cosa leíble.
El amo a mi Abuela, mi Mamá, mis Tíos, mis Tías,
mi Hermano, mis Primos, a mi, a los perros, sus caballos, las gallinas,
los cerdos, los borregos, y todos los animales en su granja.
Regaba el jardín de la abuela cada mañana,
y decía una plegaria cada noche.
Veía la TV con los ojos cerrados.
Creía que la revolución no había terminado aun,
y que el ajo es el remedio para casi todo.
Él fue mi Pabre, mi Héroe, mi abuelito.
Te extraño.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful picture and a beautiful homage to your grandfather.
It's great.

Belen Art said...

Dear anonymous,
Thank you for you comment.